Be sure to routinely have your appliances checked by a qualified service technician. They may be able to spot things that the untrained eye can not.
They may find inefficiencies or safety concerns. Wiring issues (short circuiting) and leaks can put you in potential danger. A good safety checklist should include some of the following.
- Poor venting systems or lack of venting on appliances which require them.
- Look for missing dials, parts, screws…etc.
- Inspect appliance bases to make sure they are stable.
- Check for soot deposits around the appliance, especially near the pilot light area, burners, range tops and oven components. This could be an indicator of faulty units.
- Check for controls and dials that may have been under water at some point.
- Leakage of water around or through water heater valves, fittings or jackets. This may indicate some internal damage to your unit.
- Connectors with kinks, corrosion or deterioration. If these problems exist, immediately report them to your propane provider.
- Check for unsafe gas valves and safety controls.
- Gas leakage in the appliance or lines.
- Controls that have been tampered with .
- Improper installation of appliance or gas system.
A few simple steps each year will help you and your family sleep safe and sound this year!